Monday, June 30, 2008

Birds and Bugs!!

First of all, SO sorry that I haven't commented on anyone's blogs for a while! I have had internet issues and surely have missed the contact! Hopefully we are OK now!

You have to see what our kiddos found just outside of our apartment! Remember this picture of our kids when we first moved here? This is to the right of our apartment and both sides are lined with trees! We ride bikes and scooters there and it's on the way to the pool, so we travel the territory a bunch!!

My nephew, Vince, found a nest in one of the trees! Look what it had in it! Looks like a photo from National Geographic I know! Really it's just courtesty of Tam and Vanessa - doing a shoulder sit to get me high enough to snap it!In another tree look what we found!! Just barely hatched - only about 2 days old! There are 2 more nests - one has the mama sitting on the eggs every minute! All our attempts at a photo scare her away, so I gave up! Our kids have had the neatest opportunities here!

In one post I talked about lightning bugs! Here are some shots I found on the internet, but they don't do them justice! They are the most amazing things! When the fly their behinds go back and forth from not lighting up to lighting up! You catch glimpses of light and here and there - all over!

They are easy to catch! I can't kill a fly with a fly swatter because I'm not coordinated enough to get it - I can even catch these! Bo catches jars of them every night and then lets them go the next night!! The wildlife here is amazing and it's everywhere!!

12 comments:

Lacey said...

Those are so neat....I would LOVE to see those. Cool pictures you took too....I can just picture you and Tam doing shoulder lifts to get these pictures!! Ha!!

Jordan and Mandy said...

That is so cool that you guys were able to find those eggs!I will have to go check it out sometime!

Merrill's said...

My boys would love to catch those bugs. Also, impressive photography! Maybe you should start a new business - photograhpy!

Lindsay said...

Yea! You're a blogger! I had no idea...it's about time! I haven't been doing very well keeping it current, but now with my dance concert done I will be feeling bored more often -- so I should be better.

Are you still in St. George? Just wondering, cuz those pics don't look Georgish to me.

Would love to see you again! We must hook up!

The Dennison Family (All 4 of us!) said...

Those lighting bugs remind me of my childhood times when I lived back in MI. Being little, and somewhat tomboyish, we were pretty mean. We would rip thier little behinds and squirt out the glowey stuff onto our skin. I know, too grafic, but wanted to share. Your dad said that you wanted me to leave a comment, and i guess that I stalk your blog, i better leave a note! Keep sharing your fun times! -Molly

Jaime said...

birds and bugs...my kids would LOVE that!

We haven't set a night for our family to go to pageant yet, we'll plan on going whichever night you guys go - looking at the calendar, I think Tuesday night works best for us.

And as for pictures, I was thinking that since the pageant starts at 9, maybe between seeing Palmyra and after dinner I could meet you and take some shots? That would be perfect time for lighting. I know some great places over that way near Palmyra too. Lots of old red barns, worn bricks, crickety fences, big trees, etc.

And seriously the offer's still there if you guys want to crash here -- we're just a 40 minute drive to Palmyra on the way back from Niagara, save a night on a hotel. I noticed you have family with you - I'm not sure if they are coming too, but they are more than welcome to stay as well...we have plenty of room.

Matt and Jessica Stevenson said...

so cool:) A mama bird dropped an egg on our car it was so sad, at first we thought we had been egged!

Anonymous said...

How fun--my kids would also get a kick out of all those birds and bugs!

Mandi Brown said...

ok Vanessa, in omaha we caught these daily, we too were so overcome with the fun, my kids looked at tinkerbell differently, people that haven't been around them are mistified. We miss those. Have fun.

Niels and Kayla said...

That is so fun for the kiddies i bet, i remember when i was little finding eggs in a nest, i thought it was the coolest thing haha...anyways this is kayla from church my email is
sweetgirl5096@msn.com, just email me so i have your email address and i will send you an invite to our blog kapeash? :) yeah its my email from 8th grade i know i need a new one..

Dana said...

How fun is that! I am so glad that you are having so many fun and exciting adventures this summer. Your kids are never going to forget. And how fun that you have it documented through your blog. I know that it is such a motivator for me to keep up on journaling I love it!

Marie Holmes said...

Love those lightening bugs! My experience with lightening bugs happened when I visited my friend in North Carolina. I was so fascinated by them. I'm glad your kids get to see them. I know my kids would love them!
Love, Mer