Monday, May 26, 2008

LIFE LESSON #1!

Coming from a small town to the big city has definitely been an adjustment for us! We have learned so much - some of the major lessons learned we call "life lessons!" Yesterday was yet another "learning experience!" We drove to New York (about 2 hours) to go see a Yankee game - the trouble was that we didn't have tickets to the game! We have gone to a ton of Dodger's games; (they have never been on Memorial Day weekend) we have been able to get tickets without a problem! To make a long story short - after getting lost on the subway, we finally made it to the game and it was sold out! A few snipers had tickets left for the bargain price of $125! Being in New York we decided there was plenty to do; we'll save the Yankee game for another time!
The line for the Statue of Liberty was FOREVER - at least a 2 hour wait (even if you have a ticket!) We decided to take the Staton Island Ferry out past the Statue of Liberty and then at least we could get a closer look! It was fun - the kids loved the ferry ride! The ferry is HUGE - hundreds of people can ride! On our walk over this lady asked us to take a picture with her - after she showed us a hidden sign that said, "Photos $5." LIFE LESSON #2 = Nothing is for free in NY!
After our ferry ride we walked about 10 blocks to ground zero! I have always dreamed about being able to come to this sacred ground! It was just as awesome as I had imagined! Looking up at the massive buildings and knowing that the twin towers were almost twice as tall! It's amazing! There are huge banners of what they plan to do on the re-build - the new twin towers will be AWESOME! If I can find them on the Internet, I'll post them on my blog! On my slide show there is a picture looking down into the space where they fell! I was proud to be an American! There are American flags all over and beautiful music playing! A great experience to share with my kids!
We had more plans for the day - but we were exhausted! We'll go back for a game (with tickets the next time) and see some more of New York! We didn't even get lost on the subway on the way to our car - by the end of the day we had it down!
I never thought in my lifetime I would have the opportunity to go to NY! It was exactly how I pictured it! It was FANTASTIC and a little WILD (OK a lot WILD)!


8 comments:

Marie Holmes said...

What a perfect place to be on Memorial weekend! I think it is really neat that you are getting these fun opportunities!
Love, Mer

jeny said...

I am always excited to check out your blog to see what new fun things the Barben's have done. You guys are so lucky!

AnnDee said...

There is A LOT more in NYC -- you'll have to take a couple trips there for sure. How fun to do what you are doing! I'm so jealous!! live it up!

love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Love the blog Ness. Just wanted to let you know. It's been so much fun spending all this time with you and your cute fam. I'm so lucky to have you in my life, and I'm just so glad Mike married you. I've learned so much from you and have just thoroughly enjoyed being here with you. I'm looking forward to a fun summer!!

Laura and her boys! said...

I'm so jealous. Your family is having such a great time. I have always wanted to go to New York City. Someday, I will make it happen!

Lee and Jimmie Ivie said...

It looks like you are having a great time I wish I was brave enough to venture out into the world. Jimmie

Lee and Jimmie Ivie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph said...

I am worn out just READING about that! What an adventure!