Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Two words that STRESS me out: FOOD STORAGE!!

This is my dream....

I'm not big on New Years Resolutions - but I do have a couple for 2009! One of my BIGGIES - FOOD STORAGE! I have recently found a couple of helpers and I thought more of you may want to check them out (unfortunately they will only help you shop if you live in Utah)! First the GROCERY GURU!! Natalie, a darling girl I work with in ICU, showed this to me! Click here to go to his site or just Google "Grocery Guru." The cool thing about his site is he focuses on ONE store's add a week so you're not running from store to store! He also has you save your coupon's from the Sunday paper and use them to get even better savings - he may have you go back a month or two... Natalie says she just puts them a file - Jan. coupons in the Jan. folder and so on! He also does a shopping list according to the add sales so you can feed your family for cheap for the week! I just want to use his site to get things for cheap to stock up my food storage!

There's another site that I'm LOVING! My sister-in-law, Genis, showed it to me. Click here to go to her website or look on my friend blog lists to go to her blog (myfoodstoragedeals.blogspot.com) - also very good!! She posts the weekly adds and puts them in color coded order of which deals are the best deals! On her blog she gives tips to price match at Wal-Mart to save you from running around! She is pretty amazing - makes her own spagetti sauce, bags it in freezer bags and freezes it instead of buying it in cans. She has 3 freezers - really MUCH better then I'll ever be!

My current goal is to just get my 3 month supply of foods we REALLY eat! Mike and I cleaned out our pantry - SAD SITE!! It's bare! We DO have about a 6 month long term supply - buy I'd sure like to be able to cook some Mac and Cheese to eat with my wheat! If any on you have ideas or things that work for you to get your food storage will you let me know too?!

5 comments:

Erin said...

That's my dream, too...when we have a house...

Marie said...

Great job Vanessa! I have a desire to get our food storage going too and have found that it is fairly managable when you 1) shop the sales and 2)use coupons! So way to go!

Colby & Brenda said...

we are working on it... amazing how much food you need for a family to eat for 1 year... i feel like i have a ton, yet according to church recommendations, still need a ton more!!!

Brandon & Sasha said...

You are an inspiration. Brandon is just finishing our pantry in the basement and we are so excitted to stock it up. We are doing pretty good with our food storage. Our ward is really gung-ho about it, so our youth do service projects at the cannery and can dry foods that we can order and our stake places a food storage order once a month. Here are a few other good sites that show deals (5 red stars are deals you can't resist):http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/coupons/store_sales.php?id=UT_Albertsons_Jan28_Feb03

Harmons Deals: http://www.grocerysmarts.com/utah/lists/indexg84rcm.php?h84ar2

PinchingYourPennies...printable coupons: http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/

I also have recipes that you can use from food storage stuff you buy from the church I can share with you. Our relief society has a food storage tasting table once a month and passes out recipes. Great program...Good Luck!

The McClellan Clan said...

this is just to funny. This is what i just blogged about today!! Great minds think alike. Isn't myfoodstoragedeals girl crazy!! she is awesome!! she has everything and then some!! Thanks for inviting me!! Take care